Tuesday, March 27, 2007

My first Regional Read Programming post

This is my first posting regarding the programming process for the Mid-York Library System's Regional Read 2007 featuring Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat. On this blog I hope to document our efforts at providing a forum for the varied points of view related to the themes presented in this book. I also hope this blog will serve as a model for others who would like to record their participation in this year's Regional Read.

Here is a link to the RR 2007 programming Wiki which we hope will become a rich resource with plenty of ideas to help with activities related to the Regional Read.

http://rr2007program.pbwiki.com

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Bev,
This is such an exciting book. Your blog and wikis are great! Thank you for your inovative and creative workshop ideas and contributions.
Anxious to get started.
Sharon

Sharon said...

Bev,
This is an exciting title and I am anxious to get started.
Thank you for all of your hard work and creative ideas.
Sharon

Sara said...

I have heard that "The World is Flat" is boring. I have requested it on audio so I can appreciate it more. What kind of criteria is there for picking the regional read?

Beverly CD said...

Sara, I think you are right. Some parts of the World is Flat are boring in some respects, but what I have found myself and from listening to people is that if you can make your way through the parts that don't interest you, or even skip around there will be something that will appeal to you at least in terms of the topic. For example, I am very interested in the human rights issues related to globalization and also, of course, the sections related to how technology is changing the way we communicate and learn and do business, so those sections of the book got me thinking and excited. Our criteria for picking the book (which was done by committee) included picking a book that would foster a lot of discussion, that would appeal to different readers than normally participate in book discussions, and that had a direct impact on life here in central New York. Also, keep in mind that this is not the only book we are encouraging people to read. If you go to the wiki at http://rr2007program.pbwiki.com
you will see that we are compiling a list of other titles related to the topic. Thanks for your great question and the opportunity to explain why we chose this book.